GMC has introduced the 2022 Hummer EV Edition 1 — a first-of-its kind super-truck developed to forge new paths with zero emissions. The Tesla Cybertruck rival will be the first fully electric addition to GMC’s line-up, driven by next-generation EV propulsion technology that, according to the company, “enables unprecedented off-road capability, extraordinary on-road performance and an immersive driving experience designed to put occupants at the centre of every moment.”
“This innovative truck comes to market with speed and purpose, bringing GM another step closer to an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, president of General Motors. “With our Ultium Drive architecture as the foundation for an exceptionally broad range of performance, the Hummer EV is perfect for the customer who wants capability, efficiency and performance.”
The Hummer EV is powered by General Motors’ all-new Ultium batteries and power from Ultium Drive, GM’s proprietary EV drive units. A GM-estimated best-in-class 1,000 horsepower and GM-estimated 11,500 lb-ft of torque are generated by three separate motors within two Ultium drive units to give the Hummer EV e4WD remarkable on- and off-road capabilities. Additional purposeful and intuitive technologies will complement the truck’s range and capabilities to enhance and elevate every excursion.
Hummer had earlier teased the EV's new 'crab mode', which utilises four-wheel steering to allow it to travel in a diagonal direction. Hummer says the function is "tailor-made for off-roading customers".
Unique e4WD drive system
“We had one goal for Hummer EV: Build the most capable factory truck – ever,” said Al Oppenheiser, GMC Hummer EV chief engineer. “It’s an absolute off-road beast with a unique e4WD drive system that provides maneuverability unlike anything GM has ever offered before.”
The butch e-SUV is designed to be the ultimate off-road EV supertruck, with all-new features developed to challenge tough obstacles and terrain.
Highlights of available features include:
- 4 Wheel Steer featuring CrabWalk — a segment-exclusive feature that allows the rear wheels and front wheels to steer at the same angle at low speeds, enabling diagonal movement of the vehicle, for even greater maneuverability on challenging terrain.
- Adaptive Air Suspension with available segment-leading, Extract Mode capability enables the suspension height to be raised approximately 6 inches (149 mm) to help the Hummer EV negotiate extreme off-road situations such as clearing boulders or fording water.
- 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tyres offered standard offer exceptional strength and flexibility to optimize maneuverability with the Hummer EV’s unprecedented off-road capability, including scaling 18-inch verticals and driving through water that is more than 2 feet deep.
- Underbody armour, consisting of sturdy steel plates that are strategically located around the battery pack and more to help provide protection in extreme off-roading conditions.
UltraVision that includes new front and rear underbody cameras with live ‘virtual spotter’ views to help drivers navigate obstacles and place wheels on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are packaged to help protect against damage and equipped with a wash function to help clear debris. Off-road widgets that display vehicle functions and terrain status through the infotainment and driver information screens. Examples include torque output, differential locker engagement, tire pressure, pitch and roll angles (including maximum values), a drift gauge (with maximum values), friction circle, torque vectoring and more.
Maximum capability, 350-plus mile range
Industry-leading fast-charge capabilities, paired with GM’s all-new Ultium battery and advanced technology features, will coalesce to offer maximum capability and optimal range.
Edition 1 highlights include:
- Three-motor e4WD drive system offers the equivalent of GM-estimated 1,000 horsepower and 11,500 lb-ft of torque. Industry-first technology mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging, which makes the Hummer EV compatible with the fastest 350 kW DC fast chargers, enabling nearly 100 miles/160km of range in 10 minutes of charging. GMC says the
- 24-module, double-stacked Ultium battery propulsion system “will offer excellent range and power to three motors.” Preliminary testing has shown 350-plus miles (574 kilometres) of driving range on a full charge. Zero to 60mph/100koh comes up in 3 seconds.
- The Hummer EV gets the latest version of Super Cruise, an available driver assistance feature offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles (approximately 322,000km) of enabled roads, and a new automatic lane changing feature, where the system can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the manoeuvre, while following signalling protocols.
The Hummer EV, which debuts in a fully-equipped Edition 1 trim package, has Drive Mode Control that offers driver-selectable modes that tailor performance — including torque splits between the front and rear wheels, and four-wheel steering settings — for different driving conditions. It includes Terrain Mode, which raises the SUV’s ride height by nearly 2 inches. There’s also Adaptive Ride Control continuous damping tailored for both on- and off-road driving.
Open-air driving enabled by the structural rigidity of the Ultium batteries, with standard Infinity Roof and removable transparent Sky Panels that can stow in the ‘frunk’ storage compartment at the front of the vehicle.
The GMC Hummer EV’s design cues will be bold and futuristic, featuring carefully executed and clever details such as the distinctive ‘H”’ motif seen in a number of elements. The reimagining of conventional displays communicates the vehicle’s capability and technology via exterior lighting and interior user interfaces.
There is a large 13.4-inch diagonal infotainment screen and 12.3-inch diagonal driver information centre that display convey vehicle performance and driver awareness information. Other highlights include a MultiPro Tailgate with six functional positions, power rear drop glass window and power tonneau cover.
Production of the Hummer EV begins in late 2021, at GM’s Factory Zero Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center — a nearly 40-year-old facility repurposed and retooled with a $2.2-billion investment devoted to electric vehicle production. Future production vehicles out of the factory will offer zero emissions.