GST and its impact on car buyers in India  

The biggest gainers will be SUVs which see a sharp 12 percent reduction in tax from 55 percent to 43 percent. Expect this category to notch a new high in FY2018.

By Mark Narakaden, Autocar India calendar 30 Jun 2017 Views icon9374 Views Share - Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to LinkedIn Share to Whatsapp
GST and its impact on car buyers in India  

With Goods and Services Tax (GST), the biggest-ever tax reform in India, set for rollout at the stroke of midnight of June 31-July 1, the automobile industry will have to contend with a new market dynamic.  

Under GST, there will be four main vehicle categories – small cars, large cars, electric vehicles and hybrids. Most vehicle categories will fall under a standard 28 percent tax rate, along with a provision to separately levy an additional variable cess on any category.

SUVs to be biggest gainers
The automobile sector is unlikely to see any major dip in demand, considering there has been a reduction in taxation across the board with the drop ranging from 2.25 to 12 percent, depending on the vehicle category.

The biggest gainers will be SUVs which see a sharp 12 percent reduction in tax from 55 percent to 43 percent. Accounting a fourth of all passenger vehicle sales in India, and having notched near-30 percent year-on-year growth in FY2017 (761,997 units), FY2018 should see demand for SUVs surge even more.   

Hybrids, surprisingly, have been kept in the highest rate bracket of 28 percent with an additional 15 percent cess (total of 43 percent), thus attracting the same amount of tax as a large car.But in a move that highlights the government’s push towards electric vehicles, GST has been kept in a tax band of 12 percent, which is 16 percent lower than any other vehicle category. 

However, it still remains to be seen whether passenger vehicle manufacturers will pass on the entire benefit of this overall drop in taxation rate to customers. The Autocar India graphic depicted below details the GST impact on various vehicle categories.



Also read : GST of 31 percent on motorcycles over 350cc 

Tags: GST,SUVs
Bureau of Indian Standards introduces two new safety norms for EVs

auther Autocar Pro News Desk calendar24 Jun 2024

IS 18590: 2024 and IS 18606: 2024 focus on stringent safety requirements for the EV powertrain, as also battery performa...

BMW Motorrad to launch its first EV in India in July

auther Autocar Pro News Desk calendar23 Jun 2024

The BMW CE 04 electric scooter, which has a range of 130km and a top speed of 120kph,  will be BMW’s first electric two-...

Indian Oil signs mega 10-year LNG supply contract with Total Energies

auther Autocar Pro News Desk calendar20 Jun 2024

Total Energies has signed a sales and purchase agreement with Indian Oil Corporation for the delivery to India of up to ...