Enevate, a pioneer in advanced silicon-based lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery technology that enables ultra-fast charging of electric vehicles (EV), has now announced its fourth-generation advanced battery technology optimised for large-scale commercialisation and super-factory-level manufacturing.
Enevate claims that its solution solves a problem for automotive OEMs and EV battery manufacturers as it can provide extremely fast charging speeds, high energy density, and lower material costs than traditional lithium-ion batteries, while matching existing battery manufacturing equipments. The company claims that the new XFC-Energy technology can fill up to 75 percent of battery capacity in 5 minutes, with an energy density of 800 Wh / L. In comparison, today's traditional large-scale EV lithium-ion batteries have an energy density of 500 ~ 600 Wh / L, and it usually takes more than one hour to charge.
Christian Noske, chairman of Alliance Ventures (Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi), said: "The large-scale adoption of electric vehicles by consumers and fleet owners will largely depend on whether some of the current battery technology barriers and bottlenecks can be eliminated. These barriers and Bottlenecks include longer charging times and limited range. Enevate is a major enabler of electric vehicles with extremely high-speed fast charging , environmental protection, large-scale popularity and convenient use. "
Dr John Goodenough has received the 2019 Nobel Chemistry Prize for his pioneering work in lithium ion battery development and has been a member of the Enevate Advisory Board since 2010. "I want to pay tribute to the Enevate team, who has achieved another important result in their mission to develop and commercialise innovative battery technology to accelerate global electric mobility," he said.
Enevate is reportedly working with multiple automotive OEMs and EV battery manufacturers to commercialise its advanced battery technology and promote its widespread use in electric vehicles around 2024-2025. Its core development goals also include the rational use of existing infrastructure manufacturing facilities to save costs. The fourth-generation XFC-Energy technology is said to have undergone approximately 1 million metres of electrode testing, 74 million hours of battery testing and has conducted 2 billion data point collections. Enevate’s founder and CTO, Dr Benjamin Park points out that the XFC-Energy technology design uses pure silicon anodes plus nickel-rich NCA, NCM and NCMA advanced anodes, which can accommodate large soft packs, prismatic and cylindrical EV batteries.\
Dr Park remarked, “Enevate's ultra-fast charging technology can turn gas stations into drop-free EV charging stations. As electric cars replace petrol cars, this will be a win-win situation for consumers and the environment. Enevate's advanced batteries Technology helps bridge the usability gap between today's electric and gasoline vehicles.”
Technical details of XFC-Energy (sourced from Enevate)
- Suitable for large soft packs, prismatic and cylindrical EV batteries, suitable for various battery modules and packaging structures. Achieves 800 Wh / L and 340 Wh / kg EV battery energy density.
- Pure silicon-based negative electrode technology, with adjustable thickness and capacity of 10-60µm, 1000-2000mAh / g, can be matched with NCA, NCM811, NCMA, low cobalt or other advanced positive electrodes.
- The continuous roll-to-roll negative electrode manufacturing process can achieve electrode production of more than 80 meters per minute. The battery capacity of each electrode production line can exceed 10 GWh. The width of pure silicon anode coils is greater than 1 meter and the length is more than 5 kilometers, which is enough to meet the needs of super factories Mass production, and other properties.
- Compared with traditional synthetic graphite anodes, pure silicon-based anode materials cost less (USD / kWh).
- Great performance improvement, 75% battery capacity can be achieved in 5 minutes of charging, and when matched with high nickel positive electrode, it can achieve more than 1,000 cycles in the EV driver cycle test, and it can also be used at -20 ° C and lower. Achieve superior low-temperature performance at temperature.
- Five-minute ultra-fast charging, high energy density, low temperature operation, low cost and superior safety.