Volkswagen Plans 20% Cost Cuts Across All Brands by 2028, Reuters Reports
Europe's largest automaker targets sweeping savings to counter high costs, a weakening Chinese market, and US tariffs.
Volkswagen is targeting a 20% reduction in costs across all of its brands by the end of 2028, business publication Manager Magazin reported on Monday, as the German automotive giant moves to safeguard its finances in the face of rising expenses, a difficult trading environment in China and the continued pressure of United States tariffs.
According to Reuters, citing the report, Volkswagen chief executive Oliver Blume and finance chief Arno Antlitz presented what was described as a "massive" savings plan during a closed-door meeting with senior company executives held in Berlin in mid-January.
A company spokesperson confirmed to Reuters that Volkswagen launched a savings programme spanning all brands and entities three years ago and has since achieved reductions in the double-digit billion-euro range. The spokesperson said the programme has allowed the group to absorb geopolitical headwinds, including US tariffs.
Manager Magazin reported that specific details of where cuts will be made and how cooperation between brands will be improved had not been clarified at the January meeting, though plant closures had not been ruled out as a possibility.
Works Council Rules Out Plant Closures
Volkswagen's works council chief, Daniela Cavallo, acknowledged the Manager Magazin report but pointed to an agreement struck with Volkswagen AG at the end of 2024, under which measures for competitiveness were tied to commitments protecting the workforce. "With this agreement, we have expressly ruled out plant closures and layoffs for operational reasons," Cavallo said in a statement, as reported by Reuters.
35,000 Jobs to Go by 2030
Europe's largest carmaker is already in the process of cutting 35,000 jobs in Germany by 2030. Its core Volkswagen brand announced in January that it planned to reduce management positions and consolidate its production platform, with a target of saving 1 billion euros (approximately $1.2 billion) over the same period. The Volkswagen spokesperson told Reuters that Blume is expected to provide a further update when the company presents its annual results at a press conference on 10 March.
Sector-Wide Pressure
Volkswagen's cost drive comes amid mounting challenges for German carmakers in China, where they face an intensifying price war with domestic rivals. The group also continues to invest heavily in software development and the parallel development of combustion engine and electric vehicle platforms — costs that remain elevated, Manager Magazin reported, citing a source present at the January meeting. Volkswagen said on Friday it remained committed to its long-term trajectory towards more efficient, lower-emission vehicles.
Volkswagen's difficulties are not isolated. Mercedes-Benz last week warned that the profit margin at its automobiles division could decline further this year and pledged to apply what it termed "relentless cost discipline," Reuters reported.
This article is a press pick-up based on reporting by Reuters. All facts and quotes are attributed to Reuters and Manager Magazin as original sources.
RELATED ARTICLES
NHAI Accepts ₹6,221 Crore Offer from National Highways Infra Trust to Monetise 310 km of Highway Assets
NHIT's acquisition of two highway sections in Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh brings total NHAI monetisation to nearly ₹5...
SIAM Launches Sustainable Mobility Week in New Delhi with Focus on Multi-Fuel Transition
The four-day programme at India Habitat Centre opened with the 4th ISTEM symposium, drawing policymakers, industry leade...
Bridgestone India Opens Two New Select Stores in Guwahati
The new outlets — Kamrup Tyres and The Wheelz Shoppe — were inaugurated by Executive Director Rajiv Sharma and will offe...




By Shristi Ohri
17 Feb 2026
1 Views

Sarthak Mahajan