Porsche 718 Boxster, Cayman to Retain Petrol Options in future
The German brand has acknowledged a clear drop in demand for battery-electric cars globally.
Porsche has confirmed that the soon to be revealed next-generation 718 Boxster and Cayman will continue to offer petrol-powered combustion engine options in their “top” variants. This news comes as part of a major strategic shift in the brand’s electrification plans. Additionally, Porsche has also announced that the long-planned all-electric ‘K1’ large SUV, which was to sit above the Cayenne has been cancelled.
The new product realignment also secures extended lifecycles for the Cayenne SUV and Panamera combustion and plug-in hybrid models, which CEO Oliver Blume said will remain on sale “well into the 2030s.” The announcement was made during a call with investors on September 19, according to Autocar UK
As part of the future model update, Porsche will take a €1.8 billion hit after halting development of the SSP 61 ‘Sport’ platform. Originally intended to underpin the K1 SUV and next-generation electric versions of the Panamera and Taycan, the SSP Sport project has now been delayed until “well into the 2030s,” Blume said. Instead, the K1 SUV will debut with combustion and plug-in hybrid powertrains, though Porsche has not disclosed a launch date. First announced in 2022, the model was positioned as a new flagship SUV.
“We have seen a clear drop in demand for exclusive battery-electric cars, and we are taking that into account,” Blume explained, citing sharply declining luxury sales in China and higher U.S. tariffs on imported cars as additional challenges. Porsche now expects net profit margins to dip to around 2% this year, though it projects a rebound above 10% in the medium term once new models reach showrooms.
Despite the pivot, Porsche reaffirmed its commitment to electrification. “Electrics excite a specific and growing customer group,” Blume noted, highlighting the imminent launch of the Cayenne Electric on Volkswagen Group’s new 800V PPE platform and the ongoing rollout of the Macan Electric.
Originally conceived to replace its petrol counterpart, the Macan Electric will now be joined by a new SUV codenamed ‘M1’. Based on the third-generation Audi Q5’s Premium Platform Combustion (PPC) architecture, the M1 will be Porsche’s first model with front-biased drive. Its three-year development cycle is also notably shorter than Porsche’s typical five-year timeline, according to Blume.
While Porsche has not detailed the future combustion variants of the 718, industry watchers expect hardcore models such as the RS and GT4 RS to continue with petrol power, while entry-level versions transition to electric drivetrains.
RELATED ARTICLES
Exclusive: NCR May Stop New Petrol-Diesel Cab Additions
Delhi’s draft EV policy and Haryana’s EV charger mandate for buildings had already hinted at a larger NCR clean mobility...
JLR Targets £1.7 Billion Savings As Breakeven Reset Begins
The luxury carmaker aims to reduce breakeven volumes towards 300,000 units over two years through Enterprise Missions fo...
Tata Motors Lines Up Two New Nameplates, Four ICE And EV Facelifts For FY27
The company says FY27 will be an intense product-action year, with two new nameplates and four facelifts each in ICE and...


22 Sep 2025
2828 Views
Mukul Yudhveer Singh
