Overspeeding accounted for 71.2% of total deaths in road accidents, says MoRTH

The number of road accidents in 2022 increased by 11.9 % compared to 2021 and the number of deaths and injuries also increased by 9.4 % and 15.3 % respectively.

Autocar Pro News Desk By Autocar Pro News Desk calendar 01 Nov 2023 Views icon1107 Views Share - Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to LinkedIn Share to Whatsapp
Overspeeding accounted for 71.2% of total deaths in road accidents, says MoRTH

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways' annual report of accidents during 2022, revealed that  'overspeeding' accounted for 72.3 % of the total road accidents, 71.2 % of total deaths and 72.8 % of total injuries, IANS noted. 

IANS further reported that 'Hit from Back' accounted for the biggest chunk of the total accidents deaths at 19.5 %, followed by 'Hit and Run' and 'Head on Collision' which led to 18.1 % and 15.7 % deaths respectively, MoRTH noted. 

IANS further added that the report on road accidents can be attributed to several types of traffic rule violations 

The report on road accidents attributable to various types of traffic rule violations reveals that 'Overspeeding' constituted the main violation associated with accidents, fatalities and injuries, in 2022.

A total of 4,61,312 road accidents have been reported by states and union territories during the calendar year 2022, claiming 1,68,491 lives, IANS stated. 

The number of road accidents in 2022 increased by 11.9 % compared to 2021 and the number of deaths and injuries also increased by 9.4 % and 15.3 % respectively.

During 2022 'Overspeeding' accounted for 72.3 % of the total road accidents, 71.2 % of total deaths and 72.8 % of total injuries.The number of accidents, fatalities and injuries due to 'Overspeeding' increased by 12.8 %, 11.8 % and 15.2 % respectively in 2022 relative to 2021, IANS noted. 

'Driving on the wrong side' was the second-highest cause of total road accidents during 2022 accounting for 4.9%.

Drunken driving/consumption of alcohol, drugs, jumping of red light and use of mobile phones taken together accounted for 7.4 % of total accidents and 8.3 % of total deaths. The other categories which would include reasons like road environment, vehicular condition etc. accounted for 18.2 % of the accidents, 18.1 % of fatalities and 18.1 % of injuries.

During 2022, a total of 50,029 people were killed who were not wearing helmets, of which 35,692 (71.3 %) were drivers and 14,337 (28.7 %) were passengers.

Similarly, for the same period, 16,715 people were killed who were not wearing seat belts. Out of 16,715, 8,384 (50.2 %) were drivers and remaining 8,331 (49.8 %) were passengers, said IANS. 

The annual report reveals that 1,01,891 people who got injured in road accidents were not wearing helmets and 42,303 people injured in road accidents were not using seat belts in 2022, IANS reported. 

 

RELATED ARTICLES
Hyundai to launch Creta EV in Q4 FY25, mass market model in offing

auther Autocar Pro News Desk calendar15 Jun 2024

Hyundai India plans to launch four electric vehicles, adopting a top-down approach. "We plan to transition towards the m...

Hyundai paid Rs 787.2 crore to GM for Talegaon plant; Expects to start operations in H2 of FY26

auther Autocar Pro News Desk calendar15 Jun 2024

Once the Talegaon facility is partly operational, Hyundai India’s total annual production capacity in India will increas...

Hyundai leads the race on profit margins versus Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors

auther Autocar Pro News Desk calendar15 Jun 2024

In recent years, Hyundai India has maintained an impressive double-digit operating profit margin, consistently outperfor...