Minda Corp and PE investors believed to be likely sellers in Pricol's block deal: Report

Minda Corporation, mid-last year, announced its decision to acquire a 15.7% stake worth Rs 400 crore in rival Pricol Ltd.

Autocar Professional BureauBy Autocar Professional Bureau calendar 17 Jan 2024 Views icon3737 Views Share - Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to LinkedIn Share to Whatsapp
Minda Corp and PE investors believed to be likely sellers in Pricol's block deal: Report

Minda Corp. Ltd., in addition to private equity investors, is said to be the likely seller in the large block deal that took place on Wednesday, business television CNBC-TV18 reported, citing sources. 

The buyers, on the other hand, include a clutch of domestic and foreign investors, the report added, claiming that 15% of Pricol's equity has changed hands in multiple block deals that took place on Wednesday. The official information on the buyers and sellers in the transaction is currently not available; the report continued.

The development, if true, has brought a further twist to the case just days after both companies announced receiving notices from antitrust regulator the Competition Commission of India (CCI) to present their respective arguments in the case, which involves Minda's proposed acquisition of an additional 8.79% stake in Pricol. 

Minda Corporation, mid-last year, announced its decision to acquire a 15.7% stake worth Rs 400 crore in rival Pricol Ltd. While  Minda initially brushed off the move as putting extra money to good use, the market speculated it was a hostile takeover. Pricol's top management promptly responded by reiterating that they had no plans of undertaking any secondary sales or raising equity capital. Pricol management stated it would use all possible legal and financial means to prevent the deal in order to maintain control over the company.

However, things took another turn when Minda Corporation announced its intention to approach the Competition Commission of India (CCI) about taking its stake up to 24.5%. Coimbatore-headquartered Pricol, in response, has filed a writ petition at Madras High Court against Minda Corporation, challenging the latter's validity of application to the Competition Commission of India (CCI). 

RELATED ARTICLES

Exclusive: NCR May Stop New Petrol-Diesel Cab Additions

auther Mukul Yudhveer Singh calendar18 May 2026

Delhi’s draft EV policy and Haryana’s EV charger mandate for buildings had already hinted at a larger NCR clean mobility...

JLR Targets £1.7 Billion Savings As Breakeven Reset Begins

auther Darshan Nakhwa calendar18 May 2026

The luxury carmaker aims to reduce breakeven volumes towards 300,000 units over two years through Enterprise Missions fo...

Tata Motors Lines Up Two New Nameplates, Four ICE And EV Facelifts For FY27

auther Darshan Nakhwa calendar18 May 2026

The company says FY27 will be an intense product-action year, with two new nameplates and four facelifts each in ICE and...