French automotive supplier and global leader in electrification systems Valeo and Omega Seiki Mobility (OSM), part of the Anglian Omega Group, have inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to provide electric powertrains for Omega Seiki's vehicle range. Valeo will provide its 48V electric powertrain system (reducer, integrated motor and Inverter) along with the Powertrain Control Unit for OSM's cargo three-wheelers ‘Rage+ and Rage+ Frost’.
In addition, Valeo will provide the technology integration support to enable Omega Seiki Mobility hit the market quickly. The companies will also collaborate for upcoming vehicle models to be manufactured by the company in India.
In November 2020, Valeo launched its 48V electric powertrain in India to aid affordable electrification for electrified two- and three-wheelers. Valeo produces electric powertrains from its manufacturing facility in Pune, Maharashtra.
The key highlights of Valeo’s 48V tech are:
- It is based on air-cooled systems and enables a compact, lightweight powertrain system with a high power-to-weight ratio.
- The system comes in two variants – Motor, Inverter and Powertrain Control Unit for two- wheelers and with Motor, Inverter, Integrated with Gearbox (Reducer) and Powertrain Control Unit for three-wheelers and small load carriers.
- 48V powertrain solution delivers up to 12kW peak power and 6kW continuous power, best-in-class power-to-weight ratio of motors and can be tuned to suit the best system efficiency in most of its real world operating points and not just one point peak efficiency.
- The integrated powertrain kit with Motor, Inverter and Gearbox (Reducer) increases the ease of adaptation for vehicle manufacturers.
- The motor and inverter are validated for several million stop & go cycles – an expertise derived from Valeo’s passenger car technology.
Omega Seiki Mobility, which has its EV manufacturing plant in Faridabad, launched its first electric three-wheeler in early 2020 and the company aims to become a complete mobility solutions provider in the three-wheeler and two-wheeler market.
Jayakumar G, Group President, Valeo India, said, “Omega Seiki will benefit from our deep understanding of not only the electrification technologies, but also the unique needs of integrating electric powertrain in the small mobility format of vehicles. I am positive our strong engineering combined with manufacturing expertise in India will help us to strengthen our partnership.”
Uday Narang, Chairman, Omega Seiki Mobility added that, "When we began our journey in the automotive domain our main goal was to reduce emissions and carbon footprint. The alliance with Valeo will allow us to address the core issue of reducing carbon load in the atmosphere, along with providing a sustainable solution for our product line-up.”
According to Dr Deb Mukherji MD of Omega Seiki Mobility, “Powertrain is the most important part of an EV. With a global technology leader like Valeo on board, we would be providing our customers with new-generation powertrains which are efficient, electronics and IoT and at the same time cost effective too.”