With Boston Dynamics, Hyundai plans to accelerate development of cutting-edge robotics and will create a robotics value chain, from robot component manufacturing to smart logistics solutions
Hyundai Motor Group, Boston Dynamics Inc and SoftBank Group Corp have announced the completion of the Group’s acquisition of a controlling interest in Boston Dynamics from SoftBank, following the receipt of regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions. The deal valued the mobile robot firm at $1.1 billion.
The closure of the acquisition comes nearly seven months after it was first announced. Hyundai Motor Group holds an 80 percent stake in Boston Dynamics and SoftBank, through one of its affiliates, retains the remaining 20 percent stake.
Boston Dynamics is the established leader in developing agile, mobile robots that have been successfully integrated into business operations of many of the world’s leading industrial firms. By acquiring Boston Dynamics and securing a leading presence in the field of robotics, the Group takes another major step toward its strategic transformation into a Smart Mobility Solution Provider. To propel this transformation, the Group has invested substantially in the development of future technologies, including autonomous driving, artificial intelligence (AI), Urban Air Mobility (UAM), smart factories and robots.
The deal is also expected to allow the Group and Boston Dynamics to leverage each other’s respective strengths in manufacturing, logistics, construction and automation. Together, the Group and Boston Dynamics will create a robotics value chain, from robot component manufacturing to smart logistics solutions. Additionally, the Group will support Boston Dynamics’ continued expansion of its product line and global sales and service footprint.
Boston Dynamics launched sales of its first commercial robot, Spot in June of 2020 and now has hundreds of robots operating in a variety of industries, including power utilities, construction, manufacturing, oil and gas, and mining. The company also recently unveiled Stretch, its first commercial robot specifically designed for warehouse facilities and distribution centers.
The 4x4 is one of five new electric cars Suzuki will launch in Europe by 2030
Microvast’s MV-C Gen 4 lithium-ion battery packs to power REE’s P7 fully-flat commercial EV platforms with REEcorner tec...
Technology major publishes Free and Open-Source Software manifesto which emphasises importance of collaborative software...