Fast facts on smart manufacturing
A quick glimpse through what actually defines smart manufacturing
How Industry 4.0 can help enhance overall efficiencies and deliver across-the-board gains?
One of the core elements of digital manufacturing is the use of data sensors in the machines, capturing the data and use of cloud-based applications for data storage and analytics.
The model seeks to determine the level of deployment of the embedded sensors and use of analytics in areas such as
- Manufacturing processes
- Enterprise Asset Management (EAM)
- Enterprise Resource Management (ERP)
- Reporting systems
- IT integration
- Monitoring workplace/shopfloor safety
- Data security
The dominant use of smart manufacturing tools is in core manufacturing operations. The maturity model evaluates the extent of adoption of these tools in operations such as:
- Plant layout — simulation and optimisation
- Design for Manufacturability (DfM)
- Design for Quality (DFQ)
- Product design modelling, simulation and validation
- Level of automation in manufacturing processes
- Metrics-based data – translation to organizational knowledge.
- Looping of sensor data for quality / yield optimisation and resolutions.
Supply chain and logistics
A key feature of Industry 4.0 frameworks is integrating
the supply chain and related information with customers and suppliers. The maturity model identifies these linkages through:
- Integration and alignment of information flow with customers and suppliers
- Reporting of supply chain activities to internal/external stakeholders enabling real-time decision making
- Digitisation of warehousing operations
- Use of collaborative tools with suppliers, customers
- Creation of traceability chains up to component /
(This article was first featured in the October 15, 2019 issue of Autocar Professional)
Magnet developed by Niron Magnetics claims to be twice as effective while being 75% more sustainable.
Dr TRB Rajaa, Tamil Nadu's Minister for Industries, Investment Promotions and Commerce shares plans to catapult the stat...
The efforts indicate the state's understanding of the interconnectedness of various elements contributing to the growth ...