Sixty percent new Baleno bookings for six-airbag variants

Maruti claims to have crossed the 50,000 bookings for its latest hatchback.

By Mayank Dhingra calendar 22 Mar 2022 Views icon9117 Views Share - Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to LinkedIn Share to Whatsapp
Sixty percent new Baleno bookings for six-airbag variants

Sixty percent of the bookings for the second-generation Maruti Baleno hatchback, launched a month have been for the six-airbag variants with buyers opting for the higher-spec Zeta and Alpha trims. All of these trims are equipped with dual front, side as well as curtain airbags, taking the total airbag count to six.

The company has also crossed the 50,000-unit booking milestone for the new Baleno, just six weeks after pre-bookings began. At the launch day alone, Maruti indicated that it had bagged 25,000 orders for this premium hatchback that it sells via the Nexa channel.

As far as the booking profile goes, about 20 percent of customers have opted for the automatic AMT-equipped trims of the car.

The Baleno’s entry-level Sigma and Delta variants come with only two airbags as standard. The top two trims also get a rear-view camera with the more expensive Alpha also equipped with a segment-first 360-degree camera.

Launched with an overall investment of Rs 1,150 crore, inclusive of investments by suppliers, the new Baleno aims to  sell more per month than its predecessor’s average monthly sales of 15,000 units. This would give it a 25 percent market share among competing products like the Hyundai i20, Tata Altroz and Honda Jazz.

“We already have 60 percent segment share of the premium hatchback category with products like the Baleno, Swift and Ignis and with the new model, we target the remaining 40 percent,” Shashank Srivastava, senior executive director, Marketing and Sales, MSIL had told Autocar Professional in an earlier interview.

MSIL will also introduce a CNG option in the Baleno in the near future, to cater to consumer demand for an affordable fuel option amidst skyrocketing petrol prices.

 

RELATED ARTICLES
Hyundai recalls 1,744 Ioniq 5 EVs to inspect integrated charging control unit

auther Autocar Pro News Desk calendar15 Jun 2024

Hyundai Motor India has cited a “potential issue in the integrated charging control unit (ICCU), which may discharge the...

Tata Motors looks to tap growing trend for personalisation in cars and SUVs

auther Autocar Pro News Desk calendar15 Jun 2024

The car and SUV maker expects the trend of mass customisation to transition into each car being a unique product, enable...

Hero MotoCorp to increase its stake in Ather Energy

auther Autocar Pro News Desk calendar07 Jun 2024

Hero MotoCorp, which is an early investor in Ather Energy and has been a part of the Bengaluru-based smart electric scoo...