Mumbai-headquartered SUV major Mahindra & Mahindra has inaugurated its new modern and state-of-the-art vehicle testing facility christened the Mahindra SUV Proving Track (MSPT)’ in Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu. The facility will allow Mahindra engineers to test SUV products in a variety of terrains and simulations.
The company claims the proving track is one of the biggest and comprehensive automotive proving grounds owned by an automobile OEM in India. The facility was inaugurated by Dr. Anish Shah, MD and CEO, Mahindra & Mahindra, in the presence of Rajesh Jejurikar, executive director, Auto & Farm Sector; Veejay Nakra, CEO, Automotive Division and R Velusamy, chief of Global Product Development, Automotive Division.
The OEM says the MSPT will house the very strategic 4x4 Centre of Excellence where the Mahindra team will innovate on creating breakthrough solutions. In 2022. the track will be opened for passionate customers to have a world-class off-roading experience in a specially curated track.
The track is located 55km from the Mahindra Research Valley (MRV) where the company develops its vehicle range, which will now allow engineers to extensively test products and also ready them for homologation (government certification) in this custom-made facility.
Veluswamy R, chief of Global Product Development, Mahindra & Mahindra said, “The brand-new proving track complements and completes MRV where our products are conceived. It is a dream come true for everyone involved in the product development process within Mahindra. It’s a driver’s paradise designed to shape powerful and desirable machines.”
MSPT has been developed with an investment of Rs 510 crore and is built over 454 acres of land at Cheyyar SIPCOT Industrial Area. Designed by Spain’s IDIADA (Institut d'Investigació Aplicada de l'Automòbil - Institute for Applied Automotive Research) the MSPT is said to be amongst the best such facilities in the world. It took three years for completion of this track.
Some of the interesting highlights of the facility include –
- The MSPT has 20 purpose-built tracks which are fully in operational.
- These include zero percent slope high-speed test track with a 43.7-degree parabolic banking for higher neutral speed testing. In the straight high-speed road, vehicles can reach over
- In addition to that an arrow straight 2km, 11m wide road with zero % longitudinal slope is built for performance and coast down measurements.
- The circular dynamic platform that spans 250 metres in diameter is meant for vehicle dynamics development and evaluation.
- A braking pad with six different surfaces, and dry and wet tracks are built to test braking, ABS, ESP and TCS.
- A general Highway Durability track and a Simulated City track are built for simulating public road durability.
- An Accelerated test track which has all imaginable bad road surfaces including potholes, undulations, Belgian pavement, cobble stone, rumblers and various kinds of wash board and speed breakers are factored into it.
- The world out there is unpredictable with storms and floods, MSPT can simulate rain, water wading and water splash. Also, it can simulate dust storm in a chamber.
- MSPT houses a Full Vehicle corrosion test facility with humidity chamber.
- A 4x4 Adventure track that has over 25 obstacles for testing 4X4 and AWD vehicles will ensure that the future Mahindra SUVs are capable off-road as well as on road. More details below
- Exclusive prototype workshops, health centre and an administration tower that can house over 200 engineers completes the MSPT facility.
- MSPT also has its own fuel station.
A 4x4 specific off-road track has been built at the MSPT to help enthusiasts and experts gain experience of adventurous terrains. This exclusive facility has multiple off-road set ups like up and down hills (slopes 7, 11, 18, and 35 degree), drive thru forest/woods, riverbeds (0.9m and 1.2m deep), mud, slush, sand, rock beds, sea saw, wooden bridge over river pass, hard and soft articulation, wood logs, railway sleepers, a dead drop etc. Customers will be able to enjoy the drive experience from these off-road tracks from the second half of 2022.
Also read: Asia’s longest high-speed test track opens in Indore